ReadItSwapIt
ReadItSwapIt Book Logo
ReadItSwapIt Forums Sign in | Forum FAQ

Shortcuts

The Family by Martina Cole

Last post 02-19-2012 17:37 by bugsy_vw. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2011 17:37 Post ID: 814,442 

The Family by Martina Cole

Book description from Amazon

Phillip Murphy is a family man. He worships his old mum; he takes care of his siblings who help run his business empire; he dotes on his two young sons who will one day take over. And then there’s his wife and saviour Christine, whom he loves with a vengeance. To Phillip Murphy, family is everything. Christine has always understood this about her husband. But there is another side to Phillip, and it’s a side he never wanted his wife to see. Though even if she did, could she do anything but stand by him? Because Phillip has rules, and he expects loyalty from his nearest and dearest. Once you’re in the family, you’re in it for life.

I have read all of Martina Cole’s book and have to say the last few have been really disappointing, The Family is a improvement on the last few books she has written, but still has some way to go before “it’s up there” with her earlier books. The family is predictable in many ways, all of her characters are the same type, following the formula of most of her books... violence, swearing and downtrodden women etc, etc. I found myself screaming at Christine the main character, she lacked backbone throughout, and there wasn’t anything particularly likable about her. The book was readable, but hardly thought provoking, and I found it really hard to care what happened to any of the characters, half way through the book. Don’t get me wrong the book was readable with an average story, but it lacks the sparkle of early Martina Cole books.

• 01-15-2011 19:53 Post ID: 816,889  In reply to

Re: The Family by Martina Cole

I'm a huge Cole fan but agree with you that her last few books have been weak, she sure has lost her sparkle somewhere, I hope it returns!

Currently Reading - Life & Laughing - Michael McIntyre
  • 01-16-2011 20:51 Post ID: 817,250  In reply to

The last few I have read I really have struggled to finish them - the last one was Faces and to be honest, I don't think I will bother with this one.  I have found some authors who write in the same genre and I have to say that they are significantly better than Ms Cole's latest offering - but think her early books will take some beating.

Thanks for the review and saving me from reading another mediocre offering from her.

Currently reading The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
    Find me on Facebook
  • 01-16-2011 21:08 Post ID: 817,266  In reply to

loopylisa:

The last few I have read I really have struggled to finish them - the last one was Faces and to be honest, I don't think I will bother with this one.  I have found some authors who write in the same genre and I have to say that they are significantly better than Ms Cole's latest offering - but think her early books will take some beating.

Thanks for the review and saving me from reading another mediocre offering from her.

That book was dire and the worst book of Cole's I have ever read, I know that The Business picked up the pace a bit, have got The Family and Hard Girls on my tbr pile!

• 01-16-2011 21:53 Post ID: 817,281  In reply to

loopylisa:
    I have found some authors who write in the same genre and I have to say that they are significantly better than Ms Cole's latest offering

I think Kimberley Chamber's books are written very much like earlier Martina cole books....gritty with a good story especially the fued and the betrayer I loved these books.  I would be interested in other authors who write in the same genre if you can think of any I would be grateful

• 01-16-2011 22:28 Post ID: 817,290  In reply to

paperback:

loopylisa:
    I have found some authors who write in the same genre and I have to say that they are significantly better than Ms Cole's latest offering

I think Kimberley Chamber's books are written very much like earlier Martina cole books....gritty with a good story especially the fued and the betrayer I loved these books.  I would be interested in other authors who write in the same genre if you can think of any I would be grateful

Roberta Kray is similar, also Mandasue Heller, Jessie Keane. Can't think of any other's for now

• 01-17-2011 8:47 Post ID: 817,355  In reply to

welshy:

Roberta Kray is similar, also Mandasue Heller, Jessie Keane. Can't think of any other's for now

Thanks for the suggestions "Welshy"  I have already read books by all of these authors, I also have read a couple by Dreda Say Mitchell which I really enjoyed, and are well worth a read

• 01-17-2011 16:02 Post ID: 817,510  In reply to

I think you've covered all the ones that immediately spring to mind for authors similar - Mandasue Heller is another one I've really enjoyed - some more than others!  And I've read one of Dreda Say Mitchell and I have to say - abit far fetched at the end, but was very good and moved quickly. 

I've found that if I go to Amazon and look at books I've enjoyed you often get "suggestions" of what other people looked at/bought and I've found authors like that. 

Currently reading The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
    Find me on Facebook
  • 01-17-2011 18:55 Post ID: 817,611  In reply to

I've just read one of June Hampson's and am now reading the follow-up. 

Regarding Face, I gave up after about 20 pages and I don't think I'll bother with her later books.  I much prefer Mandasue Heller these days.

Currently reading - Peter Cook: The Biography, Harry Thompson / Are You Afraid of the Dark, Sidney Sheldon
  • 06-03-2011 22:24 Post ID: 874,290  In reply to

• ladyi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-28-2010
    • Local Villiage for Local people in High Peak
    • Posts 950

Did not enjoy Hard Girls but have really enjoyed this one. And cannot wait for the next book The Faithless.

• 02-19-2012 17:37 Post ID: 967,388  In reply to

• bugsy_vw
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Not right sure anymore...
    • Posts 1,853

This was my first read by Martina Cole and it was ok, didnt guess who the shooter was till it was made clear. Will maye take advice from earlier post and try and get my hands on some of her 1st books rather than her recent offerings.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)