ReadItSwapIt
ReadItSwapIt Book Logo
ReadItSwapIt Forums Sign in | Forum FAQ

Shortcuts

The Pact by Jodi Picoult *SPOILER*

Last post 08-08-2009 13:52 by buttersbee. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2008 7:36 Post ID: 458,842  In reply to

Re: The Pact by Jodi Picoult *SPOILER*

I liked The Pact but not as much as I enjoyed My Sisters Keeper. I thought he had did it, as an act of love, but am glad he got off. I was expecting Melanie to take the stand again and tell the jury about the diary. I didn't think there was a big suprise in this one as there has been in the other Picoult books. Is Selena in the other books with Jordan??

• 11-30-2008 16:08 Post ID: 460,033  In reply to

firepoppy:

I'll have to get Salme Falls then. I just bought Nineteen Minutes today. What order do they go in?

This is the order they go in:-

Songs of the Humpback Whale: A Novel in Five Voices (1992)
    Harvesting the Heart (1993)
    Picture Perfect (1995)
    Mercy (1996)
    The Pact (1998)
    Keeping Faith (1999)
    Plain Truth (2000)
    Salem Falls (2001)
    Perfect Match (2002)
    Second Glance (2003)
    My Sister's Keeper (2004)
    Vanishing Acts (2005)
    The Tenth Circle (2006)
    Nineteen Minutes (2007)
    Change of Heart (2008)
    Handle with Care (2009)

But they can be read in any order, as someone else posted!

The first I read was 'The Pact' and that got me hooked! I've read them all now and am eagerly looking forward to reading 'Handle With Care' next year. There is a great site, www.fantasctcfiction.co.uk , and on it Jodi tells of her favourite books. I swapped for some of these and ordered others from Amazon, as I reasoned that if I liked Jodi's books, then I would like 'her' type of fiction. It worked! I still have two of these recommendations on my wishlist. Being mostly American authors they are quite tricky yo get hold of!

My very favourite of Jodi Picoult's books are 'The Pact', 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Mercy' and 'Perfect Match'. I really like the way she examines human issues and find all of her books exciting, thought-provoking and real page-turners!

J M Hill
    aka Ismay1012
    My Swaps
    My Wishlist
  • 12-04-2008 19:46 Post ID: 462,514  In reply to

I read this book a while ago and although it was as well-written and compelling as all of her books, I just didn't like the storyline. I hated the fact that Chris went along with his girlfriend's suicide idea and didn't get her any help. I don't think he should have got away with it. Sure, he's a teenager and young but I think he should be accountable for his actions. Murder is murder, and I don't think "She wanted to die and I loved her so I killed her" is a good enough reason.

How many of her characters have actually been found guilty at the end of the book? I've read loads of her books and only remember one where the person didn't get away with what they did.

• 03-24-2009 11:43 Post ID: 527,074  In reply to

pixieholopainen:

I read this book a while ago and although it was as well-written and compelling as all of her books, I just didn't like the storyline. I hated the fact that Chris went along with his girlfriend's suicide idea and didn't get her any help. I don't think he should have got away with it. Sure, he's a teenager and young but I think he should be accountable for his actions. Murder is murder, and I don't think "She wanted to die and I loved her so I killed her" is a good enough reason.

How many of her characters have actually been found guilty at the end of the book? I've read loads of her books and only remember one where the person didn't get away with what they did.

I hope that the one I'm reading now is the one who doesn't get let off. In most of her books there is a loophole that gets them let off.

• 05-11-2009 21:25 Post ID: 550,352  In reply to

I have just finished this one and really enjoyed it, stayed up way too late last night reading lol. I did feel though that the jury would have gone the other way....but still the ending was fine as it was too.

I have read of few of her books now and this was probably my favourite.

• 07-27-2009 14:38 Post ID: 583,030  In reply to

• galsassychick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-27-2009
    • Between a rock and a hard place
    • Posts 51

Hi, this is my first visit to risi and so far it seems great. Jodi Piccoult is one of my favouite authors and i can't put any of her books down. I loved the pact but saw the ending coming so i was a bit disappointed. My favourite JP books are Nineteen Minutes and My sisters keeper, the ending just blew me away! I am trying to swap for Handle with care now.

Last read: Where rainbows end - Cecelia Ahern.
    Reading now: Under the Dome - Stephen King
    Next up: ????

Books read in 2010 - 20
  • 07-27-2009 16:15 Post ID: 583,059  In reply to

I love all of her books. I thought Tenth Circle was a bit weaker but still a great subject. The way she picks a tabu subjects and writes about it is fantastic. I bought Handle With Care and can't wait to read it.

Second Glance was one of my favourite books and also Plain Truth.

My Sister's Keeper is a brilliant story - you do need a box of tissues, the ending shocked me so much.

[:'(]

Real name Jirinka
  • 08-08-2009 13:52 Post ID: 589,526  In reply to

firepoppy:

I have just finished this and it was such a gripping read. I wonder what everyone else thought of it. Did you think Chris was guilty? Do you think he should have been let off? Do you think he did the right thing?

I thought he was guilty and should've gone to prison but I can see why Jodi Picoult gave it a happy ending. I think he should've made Emily seek professional help. He shouldn't have "played along" with her suicide idea for as long as he did.

Do one of the characters from this book reoccur in one of her later books and if yes, which one?

I agree, it frustrates me so much that he didn't tell anyone anything about how Emily felt, she would have understood eventually why he did it. But it seems so strange that the reader knows why she felt that way but no else did, I tend to forget that when I'm thinking about the characters (but I suppose her Mum knew in the end.) Have you read nineteen minutes? I love that book, it's another Picoult favourite.

I loved 'My Sister's Keeper' but I wish they hadn't changed the ending in the film, I cried so  much when I read the book. Such a surprising ending.

Currently Reading: The Host by Stephanie Meyer (spare time)
    Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (school)
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2